Tax Rep FAQs

1. What is an enrolled agent?

An enrolled agent is a person who has earned the privilege of representing taxpayers before the Internal Revenue Service by either passing a three-part comprehensive IRS test covering individual and business tax returns, or through experience as a former IRS employee. Enrolled agent status is the highest credential the IRS awards. Individuals who obtain this elite status must adhere to ethical standards and complete 72 hours of continuing education courses every three years.
Enrolled agents, like attorneys and certified public accountants (CPAs), have unlimited practice rights. This means they are unrestricted as to which taxpayers they can represent, what types of tax matters they can handle, and which IRS offices they can represent clients before. Learn more about enrolled agents in Treasury Department Circular 230.

2. Why should I choose an enrolled agent over a CPA or tax attorney?

Enrolled Agents (EAs) are America’s tax experts. EAs are the only federally licensed tax practitioners who specialize in taxation and also have unlimited rights to represent taxpayers before the IRS. EA fees are generally lower than CPAs and tax attorneys.

3. How do I qualify for an Offer in Compromise (OIC)?

Not all taxpayers qualify for an Offer in Compromise. Stay away from any companies that unequivocally promise to get your tax liabilities compromised without a complete and thorough financial analysis. Even if your financial situation indicates you may qualify, there are no guarantees an OIC will be accepted until the IRS confirms in writing your OIC has been accepted. That is why it is imperative to retain a tax professional to assist in the process. It is a fact that the IRS accepts a much higher percentage of OICs prepared and submitted by tax professionals than those prepared by individual taxpayers. Contact us for a FREE telephone CONSULTATION and we will be able to tell you during your FREE initial telephone consultation whether you qualify

4. My bank account, wages or other income has been levied (garnished). Can you get the levy released?

YES! We can get your levy released! Call us immediately!  Note: Employers and other third parties attach wages and other income immediately upon receipt of an IRS levy. Banks generally wait 21 days before forwarding levied funds to IRS. During this 21 day period any outstanding checks or automated debits will “bounce”. You not only stand to lose the funds in your bank account from the IRS levy, but the bank will charge additional fees for all checks and debits that bounce and a fee to remit the funds to IRS.
If your wages, other income or bank account has been levied, contact us immediately. We can obtain a Release of Levy.

Note: the term levy release includes partial releases or modifications. Levy releases or modifications are frequently dependent on the client providing required financial information and/or other information in sufficient time to negotiate a levy release, or modification with the respective tax agency.  Therefore, we cannot guarantee a levy release as each case is unique. We guarantee to diligently work your case in an effort to obtain a levy release, or modification as necessary to resolve your tax case.

5. The IRS filed a Notice of Federal Tax Lien (NFTL). What is this and can I get the lien released?

A Notice of Federal Tax Lien (NFTL) is how the federal government “perfects” their interest in a taxpayer’s property, or rights to property. The NFTL is a lien document recorded with the County Recorder’s office (or Secretary of State) to put other potential creditors on notice that you owe taxes. The timing (date) of the filing of the NFTL is typically used to determine priority among creditors. For individuals, the IRS typically files a NFTL in all counties/states in which the taxpayer owns real property as well as where the taxpayer resides. For corporations and partnerships, the IRS typically files NFTLs where any business real property is located as well as the where the principal executive office of the business is located. This may be with the Secretary of State. For Limited Liability Companies (LLCs), the laws and procedures for filing of the NFTL are dependent on multiple factors including how the LLC is structured, i.e. multi member, single member disregarded entity. Due to the complexity of laws and tax collection procedures involving LLC’s, a tax professional should be consulted or retained. NFTLs are rarely released without payment of the liabilities or by lapse of the statutory period for collection. However, there are other procedures to allow “withdrawal” of the NFTL, subordination of the NFTL and discharge of the NFTL. We can determine if one of these solutions fits your case or if there was an IRS procedural error that would allow for a release of the NFTL.

6. Can I get an installment agreement to pay my tax liabilities?

Yes! We can negotiate an installment agreement you can afford. Don’t let the IRS dictate terms or an amount that you know you can’t afford. We specialize in negotiating installment agreements on your behalf for all types of taxes, including individual taxes (1040) and business taxes (941, 940, 1120). Avoid having to answer directly to the IRS and providing financial information beyond what is required. Let us represent your interests to minimize your monthly installment agreement to an amount you can afford. Contact us today!

7. Do you offer any type of guarantee?

Yes! Upon your retention of our services, we guarantee to diligently and expeditiously work to resolve your tax problems. We explain the various possible options for resolution based upon the information you provide during your initial consultation. We can get IRS levies released. We can get you an installment agreement. If you qualify, we can get an Offer in Compromise approved. You will work directly with the principle enrolled agent, Michael Rude.

8. How do I schedule the FREE telephone consultation?

Simply call 760-468-3506. In most cases, your FREE telephone consultation will be done at that time or a time can be scheduled. Any information discussed is private and never disclosed or provided to anyone else.

9. How much do you charge for services?

Your FREE telephone CONSULTATION (up to 30 minutes) will be with the principle enrolled agent, Michael Rude. You will not be speaking to a sales person, administrative person or manager. There is absolutely no pressure to commit to services or payment. Upon completion of your FREE initial telephone consultation, you will be quoted either a flat fee or our hourly rate for all negotiation and tax resolution services, excluding preparation of unfiled tax returns. If you need tax returns prepared, we will provide a fee schedule price list for tax return preparation, or advise you how to best get the returns prepared at reasonable rates. Please note: In person consultations are scheduled by appointment only and are subject to our hourly rate with a 1 hour minimum if you do not retain our services. Please call for details.

We encourage you to compare our services and costs with any tax resolution firm. Beware of unlicensed individuals and companies that advertise low prices. Many of these individuals are not allowed to represent you before the IRS. Some companies advertise they have EAs, CPAs and attorney on staff when in fact they sub contract the work without your knowledge.  Always verify who you are speaking with and verify their credentials.

We handle IRS and State Tax collection cases nationwide. Let us get your tax problems resolved starting today with your FREE telephone CONSULTATION!

Michael Rude personally handles all of his clients’ tax negotiations, allowing you to relax knowing you have the best tax professional representing you. Call us today!

Tax Representation Services
Michael Rude, Enrolled Agent
(760) 468-3506